I have put together 8 great ways to celebrate Hanukkah with your family 2020 online, virtually or in the great outdoors. Despite there being a Global Pandemic and the fact that two of my kids are in quarantine, Hanukkah is still one of my most favourite holidays of the year and I hate to let anything be a downer during this time. Lots of folks out there are putting together great events to make this holiday one filled with light.
- My Menorah is a virtual interactive app to light your Menora, play dreidel and sing songs with your family. Check it out here.
- Skirball Hanukkah online celebration, premiering on YouTube. They are offering a heartwarming community candle lighting and a lively sing-along to get you feeling festive with a live show by the klezmer band LA’s own Mostly Kosher, there will be a puppet performance that retells the age-old Hanukkah story. Check it out here
- Send Hanukkah cards online with Paperless Post. I love their designs. You can see them all here.
- Chabad is your one stop shop of all things Hanukah. They provide an extensive guide to Hanukkah stories, songs, recipes, games and how to’s and why’s of Hanukkah. Check it out here.
- Israel-Best-Trips.com is a great site with lovely lists of family trips and activities online. For Hanukkah Tamar Gotteiner put together a list of great activities in Jerusalem for families and kids. Some of these events include the Jerusalem Botanical Gardens Winter Lights, The Train Theatre Festival, Free concerts by the Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra and Family activities at the Bloomfield Science Museum. You can read more here.
- Jewish Arts Collaborative of Boston offers online museum exhibits and events as well as an Augmented Reality Hanukkah Gallery and the Museum of Fine Arts Hanukah Virtual Exhibit. Check it out here.
- Help we’ve got kids has a whole list of online and virtual solutions for your kids this year around the world. Check it out here.
- Jewish Community Centers around the USA are putting together Virtual Hanukkah programs. One that caught my eye is that of the JCC of Los Gatos, California. They have 8 full days of fun as the South Bay Jewish Organizations offer 8 nights and days of Virtual Hanukkah events. Some really cute ideas here. It seems to me like most online events are free. Some cute ideas include sunset yoga to kids puppet shows. Check it out here!
Happy Hanukkah to everyone!
And stay safe, stay healthy and wear masks. From Darkness to light, this too shall pass.